Thursday, December 1, 2011

That's me on the left a wanna-be, do it if it kills me runner.

      Hey there! My name is Carissa and I'm the sixth child out of ten. When my parents so lovingly donated their time and DNA to form me they forgot to add the athletic gene. But here I am anyways despite my lack of genes. 
      My first attempt to join the track team was in 7th grade and it was a giant success. We had our first after school tryout/practice and I thought I was going to DIE. I hated it and I thought running for fun was torture, sheer torture. So I told my mom I didn't want to join and I hand wrote a note that she was going to sign so I could drop the team. The note read: Coach Name, Carissa had a terrible rollerblading accident a few months ago and her ankle hasn't quite healed. She thought she would be fine to run, however its causing her a lot of pain. Please drop her from the tryouts. Mom's signature. I thought I was so clever with that note and I'm sure coach Name had a great laugh when I walked away. I would like to say I have matured since the note, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.
     Since that lame excuse of a note I have developed a strong passion for running, you know now that my ankle is healed. I have participated in many charity 5k/10k running events. My wardrobe can prove it or perhaps I just sign up for the t-shirt?? No, but really I just finished my first half marathon in San Antonio, Texas in November. My uncle encouraged me to sign up because he was going to run it as well, but he flaked out. I had always wanted to run a half or full marathon but never had the motivation to follow through, so I took him up on his offer. Once I found out he bailed I thought I would do the same; hey donating $90 to charity still made me a winner in my book. I had really been struggling with school, with keeping friendships, keeping my faith and struggled to train for the race. So two days before my big race I told my mom I wasn't trained and didn't want to run by myself so we would just go see my uncle for the weekend instead. I cried and prayed to my Heavenly Father and just asked him what I should do. I hadn't been able to follow through with anything the whole semester and I just wanted to finish what I had started, for once. He comforted me and allowed a mighty change of heart and I knew that with his help I could surely finish my race. I ran that beautiful Sunday morning like I had never ran before. There was such ease with every stride I took and I was at mile nine before I realized it. The last leg of the race was tough and I thought I was nearly dead. Each step was difficult unlike the first nine miles and I was cursing the sun because it was purposely zapping my energy with its overpowering rays. I crossed the finish line in 2:42:42 all thanks to my loving Father.That was the best run of my life even through the difficulty. After I recovered, days later, my friend asked if I would run a half marathon in March 2012 with her. I thought she was crazy!!  I signed up anyways just because I can't tell Kim no, she is just so darn cute, so loving and encouraging. Well that catches us up to the present and why I am writing this blog. If I want to run in March then I need to give an honest effort to training, I will still rely on my Heavenly Father.
     This blog is my runners log for the next ten weeks, leading up to my second half marathon. Endure to the End is a powerful name as it reminds me to finish my race and keep my faith. In the scriptures we read that those who endure to the end will live with God again. I want just that and each time I finish a race course I am reminded of that. My faith gives me the drive to run. Its a chance for me to grow closer to my Heavenly Father and to really push myself to the limits physically. I have no natural grace or talent when it comes to running and I look like a new born giraffe trying to run before it can stand, but I love running. I don't know why I just do. Training starts on Monday and I hope I have the discipline to follow through with the whole training and blogging. I will post my goals for the race and all my workouts and my food intake. Stick around it should be good. :)
     Always remember to Endure to the End.


PS I am a math major not an English major so forgive me now of my writing imperfections.

No comments:

Post a Comment